Physical disabilities or health issues

If you or a member of your household have a physical disability or an ongoing medical problem that makes living in your home difficult we will try to help you. There are two ways you may be able to get help:

  • Aids such as grab rails and bath aids can be supplied by the NHS
  • We may be able to arrange for adaptations such as replacing a bath with a shower or changing the height of worktops or kitchen units

If you think an adaptation is required we will ask for a formal assessment from a suitably qualified specialist, usually an Occupational Therapist. They will give a written report advising on what changes need to be made to your house, and give a priority for the work to be done. We will have the work costed and where funding is available we will arrange to have the work carried out for you.

If you have access to alternative funding you may be able to get the work done even if we can't fund it.  You must have our written permission to carry out any adaptation on your home.

Was this information helpful?