Queen of Puddings
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
Ingredients: Serves 4 - 6
- 570ml milk
- 110g white breadcrumbs (stale works best)
- 25g golden caster sugar
- zest from 1 small lemon
- 1 round teaspoon butter
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 6 round dessertspoons raspberry jam (approx. 175g)
- 40g caster sugar, plus 1 extra heaped teaspoon
- Bring milk to boil in saucepan, then remove from heat and add breadcrumbs, gold caster, lemon zest and butter. Leave to absorb for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pre-heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius (reduce by 20 degrees for fan ovens) or gas mark 4 and in a bowl, lightly beat the egg yolks with a fork.
- Mix the egg yolks into the bread mixture and put into a large buttered pie dish. Bake for 30 minutes, until set.
- Lightly melt jam in a pan and once the bread/egg mixture has been removed from the oven, spread jam over the top of this.
- Whisk egg whites in a clean, dry bowl and slowly add the caster sugar. Once soft peaks have been reached, spread this on top of the raspberry jam. (add to the sides of the dish first and finally the centre)
- Sprinkle the remaining teaspoon of sugar over the top of the meringue and return to the oven for 10 - 15 minutes until golden.
- Serve warm with pouring cream.