Pumpkin and Red Lentil Soup
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Ingredients: serves 6
- 150g / 5.5oz dry rent lentils (no need to soak)
- 25g / 1oz butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 heaped teaspoon each minced ginger and garlic (or use dried)
- 2 tablespoon medium curry paste
- 1.25kg / 2lb 12oz pumpkin, deseeded, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1.2 litres / 2 pints hot vegetable stock
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- Tip the lentils into a saucepan and pour over boiling water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes. Skim off any scum that rises to the surface of the water.
- Melt the butter in a separate large saucepan, add the oil and onion and cook for 5-6 minutes until softened. Stir in the ginger, garlic and curry paste and cook over a low heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the pumpkin and stock and bring to the boil.
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes until the pumpkin is tender.
- Blend the soup in a food processor or with a stick blender.
- Drain the lentils and stir them into the soup with the tomatoes.
- Reheat gently and season with salt and pepper.
- Lunch, Soup, Starter, Vegetarian